A brief history of St. Peter’s Church
The parish of St. Peter’s Bury was formed in 1862.
The first services were held in a room at Blackford Bridge, a room furnished at the
expense of the Rector of Bury out of whose parish the new parish was carved.
A new church was built on a site given by Lord Derby; the church building was paid
for by subscription from a vast array of people. The church was consecrated on St.
Peter’s Day June 29th 1872.
Unfortunately within only four years structural difficulties began to present a problem.
In 1895 the church was declared unsafe. Piers pillars and arches had to be rebuilt.
Again funds were obtained by subscription. Re-building was started in 1899
and completed in 1901.
In the early days the church provided sporting facilities which were used by the community,
Sunday school cricket club, tennis club with courts at the bottom of Tarn
Drive and St Peter’s Football Club with a playing field at Gigg Lane.
Sales of work were popular community events. After the Second World War plays
and pantomimes were held in St Peter’s school on Manchester Road, social life revolved
around the church with regular dances and whist drives. In later years there
was a thriving badminton group which used St. Peter’s School.
Children have always been important for St. Peter’s Church and large numbers attended
both church and the Sunday schools. As the Parish grew a day school was
opened in Fishpool. In the 1920’s Fishpool became heavily populated. The intention
was to build a church adjacent to the new school named St. Chad. This proved to be
too costly and was abandoned. Two pillars in the church were paid for by the two day
schools and dedicated to them.
The church has some interesting features not least the fresco paintings of the apostles
above the altar.
Two books have been written with more information about the Church history:
“Centenary Celebrations” and “Opposite the Swan and Cemetery (A history of St. Peter’s
Church, Bury.)” Copies of these books are treasured by many members of the
Limited copies of the latter are still available - if you would like one, please fill in the feedback form, requesting a copy.
On the 1st July, 2011, The Parish of Bury South East was renamed to the title of "Bury Roch Valley". ("Roch" is pronounced Roach".)